Tuesday, November 8, 2016

The tale of a Saree in Bangkok

Its been a great Diwali because I got to spend it in Bangkok ! the break was most welcome and the Thailand trip was absolutely awesome. Most of you would be thinking where is this  going....

The festival of lights is the perfect opportunity for me to drape my five yards to my heart's fullest. This year thou I was going to miss the opportunity.

As I was packing my bag for  travel, cautiously weighing each adventure I was going to embark on,  eliminating adding and again eliminating dresses I stopped for a second. The last day was going to be a dinner cruise on the Chaophraya river and the dress of choice was a strappy short dress.
It was the last day of Diwali and the New Year. What was stopping me from draping a sari.
Why had I not asked myself this question ?
Was there a unsung rule that one cannot wear a Sari on a international Trip...or was I afraid of falling into the aunty category as only elderly women were expected to wear a sari. Nothing is more beautiful, classy and sophisticated than a saree, and as I was wondering which one to carry with me to  its first international destination. A dual tone green and pink pure silk with flower motifs looked at me....I had saved this saree for a special occasion as it was a gift from my loving aunt.
Just like that it was decided, I was going to wear a Saree for the cruise.



The husband was not very excited about the fact that I was going to wear a saree but then as most husbands knew better than to argue :) I wont deny that my heart did flutter, thinking whether I would draw stares or a comment or two...Then I looked at myself draped in this surreal weave and nothing else mattered except the fact that I finally got an opportunity to wear it...




Nothing makes a Woman look beautiful as a Saree and the smile on the husband's face is all I needed to know that I couldn't have looked more beautiful than now.


The night was beautiful with the moon shining bright, as the ship cruised through the calm waters of the river the lit monuments just created the perfect backdrop for memorable pictures and a stunning selfie.



 I often wonder why do we downplay are own strengths, the saree is the ultimate symbol of our identity why is it normal for us to wear a gown or a dress for a formal event and not a saree. 
Dinner was wonderful because it was accompanied by compliments for my saree and my look. 



If I had walked into a bar in  India in a saree I would have probably got disapproving looks but there everybody understood and appreciated that the dress was your identity it represented the culture and craftsmanship of that wonderful country I call home...  

No comments:

Post a Comment